2010年10月25日星期一

DIY Tin Lanterns

I really enjoy home made decor. If you come to my house for dinner there’s typically fresh flowers from our yard, condiments served in small recycled glass jars, and place cards put together with paper scraps saved for a rainy day. So, when thinking about lighting for a small summer meal, I had to try my hand at some simple tin lanterns.



After eating the contents, I washed these tins and filled about 3/4 full with water. Then, I let sit in my freezer overnight to give the cans a strong interior to work with to avoid any bending. Once ready, I took a hammer and nail and created holes for the light to shine through. I found it easy to set the can in a vice so I could hammer without worrying about the it moving. Try a pattern or random holes like the ones shown here. If you want to add some color try spray paint…I went with white (above) and had several hanging in the backyard. The soft light can add some depth to your outdoor dining area and is a simple, inexpensive project to try at home.
What hand made touches are you adding to your home this summer?

没有评论:

发表评论